Saturday, February 12, 2011

Fish Fish Fish

Ok, I'm going to post a recipe that I have not had a chance to try, but it's been around since at least 1959 if not longer, so it is a tried and proven recipe, I just can't cook seafood due to both my husband and my son having some severe food allergies when it comes to sea food.

Just going to get into some historical context here:  Where this recipe is from, and WHEN it was conceived, lobster was considered a "Poor Man's food"  It is from an island in the middle of the Bay of Fundy,  where the tides are the most extreme in the world,  so back in the 1950's  when the tide went out, people could seriously go down to the beach and pick up lobster and bring them home.

So here's the recipe;

Lobster Newburg

1 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 cups lobster meat
1 cup light cream
2 eggs
1/4tsp salt
1/8tsp of cayenne
1tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp sherry.

Melt butter in double boiler (or a glass/metal bowl over a pot of boiling water) add lobster and toss until the butter is absorbed.  Add cream and when heated, stir in beaten eggs and cook until thick-like custard (<b>do not boil</b>.  Add seasonings and last of all the sherry.  Serve on toast, or rice (I suggest a nice jasmine or basmati...Texmati would be even better)

Seafood Chowder:

about 1 fillet of Cod/Haddock roughly cut up
1/4lb scallops Chopped
about 2 cups lobster meat chopped
3 potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
1 med onion, diced
milk or cream
butter/margerine
Salt/pepper to taste

Ok,  first of all boil the onions and potatoes, until the potatoes are fork tender.  Drain (If you're using cream  keep half the water..)
Mix with Potatoes/onions in the pot, the fish, lobster, scallops, milk/cream and margerine. Heat on Medium/low heat for about 30min or so.

Serve with home made rolls (Bread recipe is referenced in the Fusili post)

22 comments:

  1. Poor mans food? hahaha! In all seriousness, just thinking about preparing a lobster makes my stomach growl. I'll have to try this out the next time I have guests over. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google Jollof Rice. A true poor mans diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you can't get more "cheap" than walking down to the beach and picking up a few lobster for supper...not paying a penny. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like fish, but this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. will give it a shot after i come back from buying lobsters! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sea food but i don't like prepare the meal,thanks for recipe,following

    ReplyDelete
  7. Om nom nom!!! Following for more noms

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, i wish food would crawl out of the ocean towards me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lobster, honestly going to try this. I tried the potato dumplings, loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, a blog with recipes. I do a lot of cooking, so i'll visit this. Get some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man this sounds tasty, I am def saving to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will have to check it out. I've never been that good at cooking fish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. funny how poor mans foods become expensive like lobster and crab

    ReplyDelete
  14. this recipe sounds tasty, i'll forward that to my girlfriend so she can make it for me sometime

    http://skybluetrading.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete